Click on image to view larger version. See blog section on Home page for more information.
Portland Breakwater Light ca. 1859 (USCG photo)
Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, October 2013. Copyright Candace Clifford
Pemaquid Lighthouse ca. 1859. Courtesy U.S. Coast Guard
Portland Breakwater Light
Portland Breakwater Light. Copyright Candace Clifford
Curtis Island Lighthouse and Schooner APPLEDORE, October 2013. Copyright Candace Clifford
Owls Head Lighthouse, copyright Candace Clifford, 2013
Bob Trapani, keeper of Owls Head Lighthouse
Robbins Reef Lighthouse from Staten Island. Copyright Candace Clifford
Fire Island Lighthouse, 2012 photo by Candace Clifford
Fire Island Lighthouse lens rotating mechanism and chariot wheels. 2012 photo by Candace Cliffod
Fire Island Lighthouse lens, 2012, copyright Candace Clifford
Crating Fire Island Lighthouse lens, 2000
Fire Island Lighthouse lens at Franklin Institute, 2000
Cullen Chambers inspects metal components of the Heceta Head Lighthouse lantern, 2001
Fannie Salter holds an electric light bulb the incandescent oil lamp that the bulb replaced. Photo courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard
Photo by Candace Clifford, 2002
U.S. Coast Guard photo courtesy of Capt. Robert Grant
Cape Elizabeth Lifesaving Station, Maine. Note one of the twin lighthouse towers in the background. Photo courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard
Cape Elizabeth Keeper Marcus Hanna. Image courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard
General Lighthouse Depot. Staten Island
A lampist at work in the depot’s lamp shop. All Fresnel lenses were shipped through the depot. Most testing and repairs of lighthouse equipment took place at the depot. 1930 photograph courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard.
General Depot, Staten Island, New York. Photo courtesy National Archives
Stairs at Pensacola Lighthouse; copyright Candace Clifford, 2015
The Pensacola Lighthouse opened for regular visitation in 2010. Copyright Candace Clifford, 2015
The 1842 St. Marks Lighthouse, located in the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge, has survived many hurricanes. Copyright Candace Cllifford, 2015
The Crooked River light keeper’s dwelling serves as a museum and gift shop. Copyright Candace Clifford 2015
Crooked River’s replica fourth order lens was fabricated by Dan Spinella of Artworks Florida. Copyright Candace Clifford, 2015
Crooked River Lighthouse; copyright Candace Clifford, 2015
Cape San Blas Light Station was moved to its new location in Port St. Joe in July 1914 to avoid encroaching erosion. Copyright Candace Clifford, 2015
The reconstructed Cape St. George tower with its replica keepers greets you as you arrive on St. George Island. Copyright Candace Clifford 2015
Point Fermin in 1893. Herbert Bamber photo courtesy U.S. Coast Guard
Kristen Heather, the historic site manager, has worked with the property for over a decade.
The Los Angeles Maritime Museum is located in the old ferry terminal on the San Pedro waterfront.
Front parlor at Point Fermin Lighthouse. The station is now a museum run by the City of Los Angeles.
The Fresnel lens from the Los Angeles Harbor Light is on display at the Los Angeles Maritime Museum.
Apart from a few more trees, Point Fermin Lighthouse has not changed significantly since its construction in 1874. Photo by Candace Clifford
Completed in 1926, Point Vicente used reinforced concrete in the construction of the tower. A material adapted after the 1906 earthquake. Photo by Candace Clifford
Marking the entrance to San Pedro Harbor, the San Pedro Breakwater Lighthouse was completed in 1913. Photo by Candace Clifford
In his correspondence to Lincoln Hamilton also touches on Portland Head, then part of Massachusetts. That lighthouse was under construction when the letter was written. Photo copyright Candace Clifford
Completed in 1854 Seahorse Key Lighthouse was designed and constructed under the district lighthouse engineer Lt. George Meade of the U.S. Army Topographical Engineers. (National Archives photo)